Friday, January 17, 2014

When I grow up...

At this point in our lives, my step kids and I spend a lot of time together…in the car…driving between home and school about 45 minutes away.  We're getting to know each other in this dull and confined space.  Sometimes they just fall asleep, but usually this otherwise boring commute is a time for conversation free from distractions.

This week we talked about what they want to be when they grow up.  Their personalities absolutely gleamed as they talked about their dreams…

The oldest wants to live in the country with two cats and a dog.  She thinks she might want to be a veterinarian, but after finding out how long you have to go to school, she's not so sure.  She would ideally like to live in a mansion, but since earning enough money for that takes hard work, she might settle for living in a mobile home by herself with her animals.

The middle child is all ambition.  She used to think she wanted to be a teacher, but decided that they don't make enough money (citing me as an example.)  She wants to be famous and rich.  Maybe an actress or a singer.  Her plan right now is to be a fashion designer and sell dresses in the summer and hot chocolate in the winter.  (Giving some of the money to the poor of course…she's not greedy.)

The youngest wants to be a ninja dog.

I tell them I want to be a treasure hunter when I grow up.  They laugh, but I'll show them.  It will happen…someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment